SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS - 'Tips for Success!'
1 - Start Early!
- Look in your community for scholarship money. Information will be given to all Seniors in February.
2 - Avoid Scams!
- See the list of tips for avoiding scholarship scams below.
- Remember you should never pay to apply or search for scholarships.
3 - Apply for everything!
- There is no limit to the number of scholarships for which you can apply.
- Apply for all scholarships for which you are eligible.
- Don't forget to ask the schools your applying to about their institutional scholarships.
4 - Be Persistent!
- A 'no' could lead to a 'yes.'
- Once you have listed and applied to all the scholarships on your checklist continue to look for more - it is a numbers game!
- The more scholarships you apply for, the better your chances are of receiving something.
5 - Meet the Deadline!
- Many students miss out on scholarships because they fail to submit their application on time.
- Scholarship programs are not obligated to inform you about an incomplete application.
Top Ten Tips For Winning Scholarship Applications:
1 - Apply only if you are eligible!
- read all the scholarship requirements and directions carefully and make sure you're eligible before you send in your application.
2 - Complete the application in full!
- If a question does not apply, note that on the application; don't leave a blank!
- be sure to supply all additional supporting material, such as transcripts, letters of recommendation and essays
3 - Follow Directions!
- provide everything that is required
- Don't supply items that are not requested - you could be disqualified!
4 - Neatness counts!
- Always use a word processor on your application unless you are instructed otherwise.
- Make two copies of the forms before you fill them out - in case you make an error!!
5 - Write an essay that makes a STRONG impression!
- The key to writing a strong essay is to be personal and specific
- Include concrete details to make your experience come alive
- The "who," "what," "where," and "when" of your topic
- The simplest experience can be monumental if you present honestly how you were affected
6 - Watch all deadlines!
- Impose your own deadline TWO WEEKS prior to the official deadline
7 - Make sure your application gets where it needs to go!
- Put your name, date of birth, and the school you attend in the top right hand corner of all paperwork before mailing.
8 - Keep a back-up file in case anything goes wrong!
- Make a copy of your entire scholarship packet before mailing or submitting!
9 - Give it a final "once-over!"
- Proofread the entire application
- Ask a friend, teacher, or adult to proofread it as well
10 - Ask for help if you need it!
- If you have problems with the application, don't hesititate to call the funding organization
TIPS FOR AVOIDING SCHOLARSHIP SCAMS:
When applying for scholarships, look out for these statements:
1 - "The scholarship is guaranteed or your money back."
2 - "You can't get this information anywhere else."
3 - "I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship."
4 - "We'll do all the work."
5 - "The Scholarship will cost some money."
6 - "You've been selected by a national foundation to receive a scholarship."
7 - "You're a finalist in our scholarship competition" (one you have never entered).